Monday, February 11, 2013

Boy, you'd think I'd dropped off the face of the earth, after that injury last year. 

As it turned out, I had what some doctors like to call an Injury of The Olds.  I had, through a series of misadventures, managed to cough myself into a herniated disc in my neck, which I then aggravated with certain activities. After a lot of drugs (a LOT), and a good deal of very expensive physical therapy, my neck and shoulder are behaving themselves again.  This is a very good thing.

Despite the injury, and the downtime while I was working hard to recover,
I've kept very busy with a number of things, including but in no way limited to:

  • YogaQuest - The turnout at YQ continues its upward trend.  After our very successful season of Xena and friends, we explored classic monster movies, did our second annual Rocky Horror Yoga Show, revisited Cosmic Yoga, and we've just wrapped our eighth season of episodes with a "hotdish" of episodes culminating in Doctor Horrible's Yog-Along Blog. We're on a brief hiatus while I work on a special script for our appearance at MarsCon in a couple of weeks, but then we'll dive back into action.  We're also on the schedule for our second year at CONvergence! It's a very good time to be a YogaQuester!
  • Convention planning - The amount of behind-the-scenes work that goes into a regular YogaQuest script might surprise you.  The work that goes into making a successful appearance at a con?  Exponentially greater.  We care about making YogaQuest and the other Geek Physique activities fun for everyone. 
  • Coverage - We have received some very favorable news coverage in recent months.  The day this story was featured on the front page of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, a few of us had the opportunity to meet John Barrowman (aka Captain Jack Harkness), and I got a copy of the paper autographed for Justine, the creator and instructor at YogaQuest.  We're also participating in a documentary project for some local film students, and look forward to being able to share the end result.  
  • New members - Between our participation in fan conventions, and the news coverage, we've seen a substantial influx of new members in Geek Physique in this last year.  It's tremendously gratifying, given the work we put in to make this group work, to see so many smiling new faces.  This is truly too much fun to keep to ourselves, so knowing we're reaching a wider audience is exciting.  
While I've been recovering and limiting some of my activities, Geek Physique has also rolled out some fantastic new classes in the last few months.  Geek Slink is a fun, inclusive approach to belly dancing, which incorporates geek culture into the traditional art of belly dance, and is geared toward isolating and toning muscles, while learning how to move and enjoy dance in a non-judgmental setting.  Geek Chi is a Tai Chi class for geeks that is aimed at beginners and veterans alike, with some special consideration and teaching geared toward folks with mobility issues, injuries in recovery, etc.  We will have both of these classes available at MarsCon

I will be heading out to Gallifrey One this weekend, where I'll be getting my picture taken with some Doctor Who/sci-fi notables... including Sylvester McCoy (the Seventh Doctor! Radagast!).  I'm sure I will have a ridiculous number of pictures to share, and tales to tell. 



No comments:

Post a Comment