Monday, July 30, 2012

Whining From Weathertop

Sometimes, in our quest to push a little, we do something stupid.  That's what I did a couple of weeks ago.  A while back, I injured my left shoulder, and have struggled to rehabilitate it.  I've tried to work on building up some of those muscles, but it's still been problematic for me.  You'd think that would mean I'd be cautious about doing anything that might make it worse, right?

Alas.  I pushed myself and did a shoulder-stressing pose in yoga, and it felt alright at the time - challenging, but not painful.  But then that night, I woke up to this situation (skip to 2:35, the link is fighting me!):
Yes, that's right, if you do too many planks in one yoga session, a Ringwraith will show up at your house and stab you in the shoulder with a Morgul blade.  HARSH.  And the further bummer about all of this is that Sam and Aragorn haven't been able to find any Kingsfoil for me, and I can't get to Rivendell to see Elrond until the 10th.  I have to just ice it and live with it until then, and hope I don't turn into a Ringwraith in the meantime.

Obviously, the lesson here is to make wise, mindful choices about how much I push myself.  It's one thing to say, "I can and will get up and move around more."  It's another thing entirely to subject an already-tender joint to something I am clever enough to realize will cause it further pain.

Yoga has done so much good in my overall health, and I have no intention of giving it up.  But clearly, for now, there are some things that are simply not options for me.  Plank is one of them. Putting on the Ring is another.

Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment