Friday, April 27, 2012

Still Alive...


(Sorry, I had to do it.  And yes, I had to go with a kids' choir cover of it, because I like the idea of little kids singing a song from the perspective of a murderous computer.  They should do it more often, honestly.)

It's been a while since I posted here, but I'm still plugging away.  Geek Physique continues to grow and establish itself as an amazing place for people like me to get their geek on while doing something other than couch surfing.  I've been writing the scripts for YogaQuest since sometime last year, and love it.  We took YQ to MarsCon last month, and will be at CONvergence in July - I am incredibly excited about that, and look forward to sharing the silliness with folks there. 

I'm so moved by the generosity of spirit demonstrated by the people involved with Geek Physique these days.  Last fall, we did a Geek Physique/YQ fundraising event for the Aliveness Project.  Then in  December, a group of us got together to sew stockings for the Aliveness Project's holiday stocking program.  We made some truly silly stockings, and got some great feedback from them.  We have a lot of other charitable opportunities available to us - a nice reminder that while we work on our physical fitness, it's just as important to flex our "deltoids of compassion" and our "abs of being kind" (thanks, Captain Hammer!).  Wellness is an all-encompassing concept, and doing something decent for other human beings is very much a part of that concept.

In that spirit, I've been training these last couple of months for the MN AIDS Walk on May 20th. (Yes, the picture there is from when I was a little kid - I was on a community track team, and have the blue ribbons to prove it!)  It will be my first 10k!  I'll be walking with a team of folks from Geek Physique.  I was already feeling really motivated to try to improve my time over the charity 5ks I did last year, but recently I've been inspired by some of the support I'm getting from friends and family.  When I walk on the 20th, I will be wearing reminders of some of my supporters' loved ones who've lost their lives to HIV/AIDS.  It's a really important cause, and I'm proud to be doing something to help out. 

I'll have more to share soon.  My training has kept me really busy, but it's having tremendous results in terms of my continuing journey toward a healthier me, so I'm happy.  Hope you are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment