Thursday, July 28, 2011

Floor Bow: Mission Accomplished

Just a quick post about an exciting milestone I achieved last night at YogaQuest.  I've been an active participant in YogaQuest for months now, and have noticed definite improvements in my flexibility, balance, and core strength.  Still, there are poses that have eluded me, and continue to do so.  I keep trying to push a little harder, and figure eventually I'll get there.  Last night, I managed one of those elusive poses... Dhanurasana, or floor bow, which resembles an archer's bow when performed correctly.  (See the video for a demonstration of the pose... no, that's not me.)


As a person who plays bow-wielding ranger-types in just about every RPG, I've really wanted to be able to do this pose.  (Yes, I know, I'm a giant nerd.  I'm blogging about my participation in a geek-oriented fitness club, and specifically about a roleplaying yoga class.  Seriously.  This should not come as a surprise.)   It should be my signature pose, man.  But no.  I haven't been able to use it as my signature pose, because I just couldn't freakin' do it. 

Anyway.  Every time we've tried it in the past, I've struggled to reach both my feet, and have ended up either contorting to just grab one foot, or have extended my arms backward in the general direction of my feet, and called it "close enough."  This time, however, I found that when I'd grabbed one foot, I was still able to grasp the other, and achieved the actual pose.  Exhilarating!  I couldn't help but declare, "Holy crap, this is the first time I've been able to do this!"  The group gave a round of "hoot hoots" of approval and congratulations, which was really very cool.  What a supportive, amazing group.  I love my YoGeeks!

2 comments: